Soup is a very comforting food. A warm bowl of soup on a cold day can be very appealing. This low calorie Butternut Squash Soup is very nutritious, low calorie, filling and delicious. Butternut Squash is high in fibre and provides significant amounts of potassium, Vitamin B6 and Vitamin A. It’s great for all the family, adults and children!
Ingredients (4 Servings)
- 1 medium Butternut Squash (peeled, seeded and cubed)
- 2 medium potatoes (cubed)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1 stalk of celery (chopped)
- 1 medium carrot (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon butter.
- 900mls of vegetable stock
- A few sprigs of thyme
- Melt the butter in a large pot. Cook the Butternut Squash, onion, celery, carrot, and potatoes for 5 minutes until browned lightly.
- Pour in stock to cover vegetables.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer for approximately 40 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Transfer the soup to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve sprinkled with thyme sprigs
Recipe by Brid Brady MSc. Nutrition