We sometimes take our heart health for granted, it's the engine room in our body and it's what makes us tick(literally) so we need to look after it. We have came up with 5 quick tips that can be incorporated into every day life to help your heart health and feel better overall.
1. Move More
We need 30 minutes of moderate exercise a day. This activity means moving around and breaking into a light sweat. We often spend too much time sitting down, whether this is in the car on the way to work, in our chair at work or on the couch in the evening time, we can spend many hours of the day completely inactive.
Daily Tips to move more:
- Choose an activity that makes you feel good & that you enjoy.
- Aim for 30 minutes of physical activity a day, 5 day a week. You can break the 30 minutes into smaller groups if needed and you are stuck for time.
- If your schedule is quiet busy, try set a goal that’s achievable, for example: a walk during lunch 3 times a week for 15 minutes.
Start with being that little bit more active today and you will see a change in no time. Small steps in the right direction are the building blocks to a healthy and active life.
2. Side step salt & bad fats
Food is probably the most important component in our lifestyle. There are some rules we think are vitally important to keeping your heart in check:
- Cut the Salt- Cook without salt, limit your daily intake by avoiding processed foods where you can. The recommended Irish limit is 4g of salt a day.
- Limit Bad Fat- Eat less trans & saturated fats, Low fat dairy products along with spreads instead of butters will go along way in helping your heart.
- How much Veg? All the Veg! We would recommend 5-7 servings a day. Vegetables provide so many benefits and should be eaten in large quantities. So many nutrients & so little calories, it's a win win situation!
3. Boost your Omegas intake
Specifically we mean Omega 3 Fatty Acids. These can be found in Salmon, sardines & mackerel & have been shown to lower the risk of heart attack and the build up of plaque in arteries. Two portions of fish a week is enough to repeat the rewards and benefit your heart.
To maintain a healthy heart, along with vision, liver & brain health, we recommend our Antarctic Krill Oil. Omega 3,6 & 9 along with 178mg of EPA & 82mg of DHA which help to maintain the normal function of the heart & normal lipid metabolism. You can find Krill Oil here.
4. Limit alcohol & quit smoking
This one speaks for itself, excessive drinking can weaken the heart muscle, which means that's the heart can't pump blood effectively.
Weekly guidelines for adults are:
- up to 11 standard drinks in a week for women, and
- up to 17 standard drinks in a week for men.
Staying within these guidelines will help with heart & overall health. Moderation in drinking alcohol is key and in particular red wine has shown to have particular benefits to the heart when consumed moderately.
Smoking is one of the main reasons for coronary heart disease. After one year of quitting smoking, your risk of having a heart attack is cut to half of that of a smokers. Not just that but you could save €1284 a year if you were smoking two boxes a week & gave them up. Quit today and see the difference it makes to your life....and your wallet!
5. Find your happy place
A positive outlook on life is not only good for your mind but also your heart! Anxiety, stress & fatigue can all raise the risk of a stroke, & heart disease. A study by the Harvard School of Public Health found that 'Optimism in particular seems key(to heart health), as a number of findings found the most optimistic people had half the risk of a first heart attack when compared with the least optimistic.' Optimism can easily be incorporated into your daily life and will help with mood along with your heart!
Revive Active along with Krill Oil and our Ubiquinol CoQ10 all contribute to normal cardiac function. If you feel your heart health needs a boost, try out some of our range and see what Revive Active can do to enrich your life.